The Old One is the being sealed within the Crystalline Dimension. He is responsible for capturing the Heroes' parents.
After a cinematic showing the Old One's five glowing weak points (orange gemstones), the fight begins at the boss' feet. The heroes must break the gemstones on his feet, then the ones on his chest and palms. Destroying all five gemstones allows the heroes to attack him directly in the head and deplete his health bar. The Old One has a variety of attacks, including deadly melee attacks, fireballs, fire breath, laser and an arm swing. Crystallized Goblins, Dark Elf Archers, and Orcs will spawn constantly throughout the fight.
This is where the battle starts. The Old One will either stomp with one or both feet simultaneously; the latter creates damaging shockwaves with very strong knockback. Once the gem on each foot is shattered, he elevates a portion of the ground up; anyone who does not stay on the rising platform dies instantly. The fight then proceeds to the chest stage.
- Single and Double Foot Stomp: Kills instantly if it hits directly. Single foot stomps do not produce shockwaves.
- Fireballs: Shoots a spread of fireballs at a hero. Each projectile leaves behind lingering flames on-impact.
- Fire Rain: Unleashes fireballs onto the battlefield. Drop shadows indicate where the fireballs will land. After impact, deadly flames linger around where the fireballs landed for some time.
At this stage, the Old One's three weak points are not always vulnerable. The gemstones can only be damaged when they glow orange and stick out from the sockets. All three of them glow simultaneously when the Old One taunts. Once the gem on his chest and in each palm is destroyed, he elevates part of the platform again, progressing to the head stage.
- Single and Double Hand Slam: Kills instantly if it hits directly. Single hand slams do not produce shockwaves.
- Seeking Fireball: Casts a single fireball that can turn slowly to track a hero's movement.
- Fire Rain
- Single Blue Laser: Fires one weak electric beam per living hero that tracks them.
- Triple Green Lasers: Scatters deadly poison lasers over the inner area of the platform.
This is the only stage when the Old One can be attacked directly. The fight returns to the foot stage once he loses 1/3 of his health.
- Single and Double Fist Slam: The latter has shorter anticipation and follow-through than Double Hand Slam.
- Dual Red Lasers: The lasers themselves do little damage, but incinerate the ground which is deadly.
- Quadruple Green Lasers: Unlike Triple Green Lasers, the more leveled trajectory of these lasers make them realistically possible to avoid with jumps and/or hovering.
- Arm Swipe: Can push heroes off the arena to die.
- Seeking Fireball
- Fire Rain
- Fire Breath: A rarely used attack with a wide area of effect.
- Sonic Blast: Blows away heroes directly in front of the head, in attempt to push them off to their demise.
When the CD Portal Opens
"You have come far in seeking your parents, little children. It is time now that you enter the portal as they did and face your destiny."
"Ah.. if it isn't those foolish heroes who stumped into my prison. Following in your parents' footsteps, you've fallen into the exact same trap. How glorious it shall be to defeat the heroes of the realm in one swift stroke, and then free my brothers from their crystalline prisons to bring a rein of destruction upon your world!"
"You are no match for me, little children."
"You will not escape your fate."
"You are testing my patience."
"Your realm shall burn."
"Your heavens are futile."
"Bow, bow before your master!"
"I will crystallize your ashes."
"Where is your Tavernkeeper now?"
"Your people's struggle amuses me."
"You're going down!" (When casting Fire Rain)
- During the foot stage, try staying to the left or right of the Old One's feet; it will be easier to dodge his lethal foot stomps.
- For the chest and head stages, stay straight in front of him to avoid hand/fist slams. Hug his head to avoid getting swept off by one of his reaching arms. Be careful not to fall off the platform though.
- Check the ground for dark spots whenever the Old One casts Fire Rain. Avoid standing around these locations until the leftover flames extinguish.
- There is a limit to the number of crystal enemies that can be on the field at one time. If you are not using an offensive pet, kill all but the archers to have a better time focusing on the Old One. If are a Huntress or Ranger, you can instead turn invisible to avoid the mobs entirely (provided you have mana).
- The Spear of the New Kingdom's ranged attack is extremely strong against the Old One. The poison damage over time is drastically more frequent vs. any other enemy the spears impale.
- The Cowboy Monkey and Desert Goblin are excellent pet choices for this boss fight. One with high base damage will take care of the Goblins and Orcs which provides your team a steady stream of mana. These pets will also heal you and your teammates between stages. A Fairy is another good choice for survivability; her healing can outpace the damage your team takes from archer arrows and the Old One's blue lasers.
- The Old One uses his attacks in a random order, but he cannot repeat an attack until he either taunts the player(s) or casts fire rain. For single foot stomps and hand/fist slams, he rarely stomps/slams with the same left or right hand/foot twice.
- A well timed Hawk Stance, Mana Bomb or Circular Slice can overshoot his invincibility, lowering the number of times required to reach the head level to two or even one.
- Siphon Stance does not heal the Barbarian from slashing the Old One's gemstones.
The Old One appears to be based on common depictions of Cthulhu: a large humanoid figure with cephalopod features and small draconic or demonic wings.